Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Volunteer Vacation in Thailand Chiang Mai

A few friends went to Chiang Mai in early September and came back with tons of stories and pictures. As one was sharing with me about how contented and happy the children were with the simple toys received, I couldn't hold back my tears. And when my friends go around visting the different tribal villages to do a skit for the kids, the whole village would turn up as if Michael Jackson has come to town (ok, ok.... i know it's a bad example).


I did a search on the blog sphere and found some others who went, below are some photos and entries contributed by some wonderful people who had similar experiences:


Vicky's experience


So, I spent two weeks at Chiang Mai and the children captured my heart. They always have ready smiles, always eager for a game of tag or tickling, are amazingly patient with our butchered rudimentary Thai and sign language, and waiting to climb into your lap for a hug. I became a kid again, and it was wonderful.

I fought with the boys (they love to kick and what not...so my MMA came into good use here! haha), we brought them swimming in the freezing river, and another time to the tadpole-infested pond behind the compound, I walked them to school, did some gardening, helped paint their new library, bought fireworks/crackers and lots of food, drew with the children, played badminton and volleyball and soccer and basketball and pingpong with them...the whole experience refreshed me. And the children, who have so little gave so much...I received their little treasures (toys, bracelets), many many drawings and scribbles, endless hugs and laughs, a few hard won kisses from the little boys who so like to be tough (haha)...there is such a spirit of sharing among them. Its amazing. I hope to be back...and in anticipation I have taken up Thai language lessons. =)

Chiang Mai orphanage is not for adoption...its more to take care of children whose parents are too poor to take care of them, or they're in jail or on drugs, etc. Some are true orphans, especially the HIV children - some were abandoned in hospitals or their parents passed away from AIDS. The government is trying to designate Chiang Mai orphanage as an HIV orphanage, so that all the children who are abandoned in hospitals with HIV are brought here and the Government sponsors the medicine.

No comments: